There is a lot of hype around morning routines- and rightfully so. I find that the first few hours of my morning sets the tone for the rest of my day. If I am mopey, stay in my pjs and start the day being lazy- I will accomplish very little throughout the rest of my day. But- if I start my day off being productive, I know that I’m going to have a good day.
Here are 5 things I like to do before 8am *during the weekdays.
- Drink a large glass of water before my morning coffee. Every night before bed I pour a large glass of water and leave it on my bed side table. The first thing I do when I wake up is drink this glass of water, and then starting making my coffee.
- I right a to-do list. This list includes everything that I need to get done for the day, followed by a short list of tasks that I would like to get done, but are not a priority. This helps me stay productive and focused- and takes away the stress of tasks.
- I pray/meditate. I always start my day focusing on God and with a thankful heart. Every good and perfect gift comes from above, so I try to make sure I am reminded of that continuously throughout the day, and start my day off right.
- I teach a class/do a workout. I am pretty fortunate to be able to work and workout at the same time. Every morning I teach at least 1-2 classes before 8am. I try to do the workout while I teach to get my workout out of the day. Plus, they say your brain functions more optimally after you workout- so it’s good to exercise in the morning.
- Check my emails. I try not to let my emails pile up. I like starting my morning off by reading my emails and responding to urgent (work related) emails right away.
- This is a bonus – but every morning I like to have coffee in bed with Dallas and Evie. This is our “family time” before we go off to work (I usually teach a class early, then come home to do this and go back to work after our morning coffee).
Hope you found this list helpful! I’d love to hear from you, what is your morning routine?