Oh sugar, the bane of our existence. Why is it that something that tastes so darn good can be so bad! I remember being 12 years old, and biking to 7’11 almost everyday in the summer for a slurpee and 5 cent candies with my brother. Over the years, sugar has creeped more and more into our foods, drinks and sauces. This might not seem like a big deal, but it is!! We have become sugar addicts without even recognizing it. When was the last time you tried to go a day or two without any sugar. I’m not talking about with out chocolate, or a treat after dinner. I mean reading every ingredient of spices, dressings, beverages and even your go-to protein bar. There is a high chance that you might not even be able to last a couple of days sugar free without having major withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, anxiety, nausea and the list goes on. Crazy, I know.
Okay, so why is sugar so bad for you? Here are 10 attempts to convince you to kick sugar:
- Sugar can cause insulin resistance, which is a stepping stone to metabolic syndrome and diabetes.
- Becoming insulin resistant can progress to type II diabetes.
- Sugar can give you cancer.
- Sugar has negative effects on your hormones, and has unique fat-promoting effects.
- Sugar causes a massive dopamine release in the brain, which makes it highly addictive.
- Sugar is the leading cause of obesity in both children and adults.
- Sugar raises your cholesterol and contributes to heart disease.
- Excess sugar turns into fat, which can lodge the liver and cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- There is literally no nutritional benefit of fructose in the body.
- Sugar is horrible for your teeth and has aging effects.
So now that we know that sugar is practically poison, just kidding- but it ain’t good for ya, how do we kick it?? It can seem overwhelming and almost impossible to eliminate sugar in your diet, but let me tell you, it is possible and you will feel AMAZING.
Here are 5 tips on how to kick sugar:
1. Go Cold Turkey: This may seem extreme, but in my experience it is one of the only ways for sugar addicts (ie. all of us), to get that sugar craving out of our system.
2. Replace Your Sugar Craving: If your weakness is pop, replace it with soda water. If you need an afternoon sugar pick-me-up, try making Lee From America’s Coconut Fat Balls.
3. Read EVERY Ingredient: Don’t be naive and assume that something is sugar-free. Read your ingredients, and I mean EVERY ingredient.
4. Be creative with your cooking: There are so many ways to make healthy, delicious meals without including sugar into your diet. Try making your own home-made sauces, and make homemade muffins using banana as a sweetener rather than refined sugar.
5. Take one day at a time: It can seem so overwhelming to go cold turkey and kick sugar. Try taking one day at a time. Plan what you are going to eat the night or week before, and make it your goal in the morning to stick to your meal plan and to not eat sugar. The longer you eliminate it, the less you will crave it!
I hope this post inspired you to kick sugar, and feel like your best, healthiest self. Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram @merayfroese for health tips, motivation and inspiration X